SCREEN-L Archives

February 2009, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Patricia Aufderheide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:39:01 -0500
We put out a call a while back but haven't received many manuscripts.
We're now way late, but still eager to see this special issue happen. If
you have something of yours or a student's that you'd like to see
published in this collection, please email it immediately (by Friday!!) to
me and to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/mcas
Thanks so much!

Mass Communication & Society Special Symposium

> DOCUMENTARY FILM:
> FORMS, FUNCTIONS, AND IMPACTS
>

> Mathew C. Nisbet & Patricia Aufderheide, Guest Editors
> School of Communication
> American University
>
> **Manuscripts due no later than January 12, 2009**
>
> Recent films such as Fahrenheit 9/11, Supersize Me, An Inconvenient
> Truth, and Expelled have generated attention to how documentaries
> can shape debates over social issues and policy questions.
> Documentaries are no longer conventionally perceived as a passive
> experience meant solely for informal learning or entertainment.
> Instead, with ever increasing frequency, these films are considered
> part of a larger effort to spark debate, mold public opinion, shape
> policy, and build activist networks.
>
> In addition to these new forms and uses, more traditional public
> media genres such as Frontline, Bill Moyers, or POV continue to be
> leading outlets for public affairs journalism and perspective. At
> the same time, documentaries are becoming an ever-more-valued
> commercial enterprise at for-profit cable television networks and a
> wildly popular amateur genre on Youtube.
>
> These quickly changing trends in documentary content, distribution,
> and reach generate a range of questions for media scholars to
> examine. In this special issue of Mass Communication & Society, we
> seek theoretically-driven and empirically-grounded manuscripts that
> investigate the forms, functions, and impacts of documentary film.
> We especially seek submissions that explore the subject in one or
> several of the following ways:
>
> Cultural production questions. What is the economic, social, and
> cultural context for documentary film? For example, how do changing
> structural and economic factors shape the content, goals, and reach
> of a documentary? In what ways do different sub-genres vary by
> convention, style, forms, and tone?
> Normative and ethical questions. Relative to society, how do
> different kinds of documentary filmmakers and producers identify
> their roles—for instance, as journalists, artists, storytellers,
> historians, satirists, or entertainers? How do publics and
> stakeholders perceive the authority, intentions, or objectivity of
> these film producers? Connected to these perceived professional
> norms and roles, what sort of ethical considerations and
> professional standards guide the production, content, and strategic
> use of a film?
> Influence and impact questions.  How does media theory help us
> understand or measure the social impact of a documentary's release—
> not only in terms of direct audience effects but also for publics
> beyond those who actually watch the film? For example, what is the
> agenda-building and frame-building influence of a film on news
> coverage and/or policy decisions? For audiences, what influence can
> a film have on informal learning about a complex policy topic? From
> an evaluation standpoint, how can research in this area inform the
> [...]

Pat Aufderheide, Professor and Director
Center for Social Media, School of Communication
American University
3201 New Mexico Av. NW, #330
Washington, DC 20016-8080
www.centerforsocialmedia.org
202-885-2069

"You know, I'm an eternal optimist. That doesn't mean I'm a sap."
--President Barack Obama