Hello, Screen-L subscribers,

The time has come for Screen-L to end its three-decade run.

Its first non-test message was submitted by Chris Amirault on Wednesday, 20 March 1991 at 19:15:43. I know these specifics because the ENTIRE Screen-L archive is online over here:

https://listserv.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=SCREEN-L

Screen-L was the first email discussion list devoted solely to film and TV studies—at a time when email was still a new-fangled communication service. I like to think that over the past 33 years it has provided a useful resource for folks to discuss projects, exchange ideas, solicit papers, announce new work, and network with like-minded individuals they might never meet face-to-face. In recent years, however, email discussion lists have been largely eclipsed by social media. And the messages submitted to Screen-L have become fewer and fewer.

I want to thank all of you for participating in Screen-L. Without its subscribers a discussion list would truly serve no purpose. I also must thank the University of Alabama, which has generously hosted it from the beginning.

I’m still working on the logistics of “sundowning” Screen-L. For one thing, I want to make sure that its archives don’t disappear from the Internet. And so my plan is to straighten a few things out and then for Screen-L to stop accepting new messages on March 31, 2024.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Screen-L founder and “owner” (but, really, Screen-L has always been owned by its subscribers)

----
Jeremy Butler, PhD
Professor Emeritus of Film and TV Studies

Blount Senior Fellow
University of Alabama

---- For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives: https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html