SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:16:58 -0500
Hi everyone,

I've got a question that may reveal my lack of knowledge about a big
research area.

A friend of mine is writing a book about a submarine team.  After going to
several of the meetings to take notes, he decided to simultaneously try his
hand at amateur documentary making after gaining access to a nice camera to
film scenes.

He discovered that HIS experience of the team would change depending upon
if he was in writer mode versus videographer mode.  He's curious about
this, and wants to know if there is work about such phenomena.

I know about Medium Theory/Media Ecology Perspectives (McLuhan-esque stuff)
that talk about how the medium can alter the reception experience and
receivers themselves, but I don't know if such a perspective has been
discussed in terms of production.  Anyone have any leads on how the medium
chosen can influence the subjectivity of the producers of messages?

Thanks in advance!

Matt McAllister  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311 USA  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817

Department of Communication Studies at Virginia Tech Seminar Series:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/seminar/

Popular Communication Division of ICA:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/icapopcomm/