SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:04:41 -0500
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
To: H-NET List for African Literature and Cinema <[log in to unmask]>
To those familiar with Soulemayne Cisse's film YEELEN (BRIGHTNESS/LA
LUMIERE), there are several scenes that show a statue of a man seated
in the midst of a sacred grove.  To my uneducated eyes, the statue
strikes me as being unusual:  it is carved of stone, is life-sized or
larger, and is fairly representational (not abstract or highly
stylized) in form.

I have some suppositions about the function of the statue within the
context of the film, but I wondered if anyone had further information
about this statue or others like it.  (The film centers con a Bambara
character from Mali, if that's any help.)

Thanks in advance.

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato