SCREEN-L  March 1999, Week 4

SCREEN-L March 1999, Week 4

Re: Oscar nominees

Adrian <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:16:09 +0100

Another interesting thing is that Truman Show received no prizes. On the
other hand it wasn't any hit in the box-office...

/Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of paul wiener
Sent: den 19 mars 1999 15:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Oscar nominees

Scott, I would be the first to second your opinion of "Shakespeare in Love"
as overrated. I nearly walked out of it several times (anyone care to write
about the joys of walking out on movies - 5, 30 or 70 minutes into it?) ;
not until the last 20 minutes did I like it, though the acting was
terrific. Just another feel good movie. "Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are
Dead" was far far superior in every respect. "Thin Red Line" is a much more
interesting film than "Ryan" but doesn't hold together well or make you
feel good, except for cinematography. "Ryan" would be nothing without Hanks
and the first bloody 25 minutes. I don't even like to choose anymore among
Oscar nominess. They're almost always all hyped crapola. At least "Life Is
Beautiful" was original.

By the way, where's the discussion of the Kazan Oscar honors? It seems once
you turn 70 no one is allowed to criticize you anymore? Kazan could do a
lifetime of good by saying something important about his decision at the
Oscars. My money says he won't. He's already been professionally honored
enough, so don't believe ANYTHING anyone says: this honor is purely
political.

Paul B. Wiener
Special Services Librarian
SUNY at Stony Brook