PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

PM-DOS Home

PM-DOS  December 1997, Week 1

PM-DOS December 1997, Week 1

Re: Pmail for Windows and e-mail

"Thomas R. Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:26:32 -0800

On  3 Dec 97 at 9:37, Vertraco Shipping B.V. <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for information how to install Pmail for dos under a Novell
> 3.11 Network. Every users must have to option to send and receive e-mail
> from inside the company and extern.
>
> Which programs do I need and who can help me with the settings.

I would recommend using using Mercury (Free, documentation extra)
and Mastgate ($25 shareware) with a UUCP account for your domain.  No
UNIX machine would be required.  The Mastgate machine would be a
basic 386 PC with NIC and 14.4k modem.  You would configure the
Mercury.NLM program to use the spool directory method of mail
transfer. At regular intervals, Mastgate would pickup outgoing mail
from the Mercury spool directory, callup the ISP, send all mail,
download the mail, and deposit it in the Mercury spool directory.
Mercury would take care of all of the local mail distribution.  In
this way you get the best of both worlds.  The mail management
capabilities of Mercury while using the simplicity of UUCP.  This
would also be the best solution if and when you get a direct Internet
connect, since Mercury would then be connected to an SMTP host
without affecting the basic setup at all.  There are other methods
described in the LAN connecting to the Internet FAQ.  You can get it
at http://risc.ua.edu/pub/network/pegasus/misc/lanfaq.zip.  If you
don't have Internet access, I would be happy to mail you a copy.

Here is some information on Mercury and Mastgate.

Mercury 1.31
http://risc.ua.edu/pub/network/pegasus/merc130.zip

Mastgate 3.42a
http://risc.ua.edu/pub/network/pegasus/misc/mg_342a.zip

Mastgate Docs in Word 6 format
http://risc.ua.edu/pub/network/pegasus/misc/mgdoc.zip

Mercury is a mail transport system designed to work with Pegasus
Mail and compatible mail clients. It is intended as a "drop-in"
replacement for the Charon SMTP gateway developed by Brad Clements of
Clarkson University, but can do more and doesn't require a dedicated
PC.

Release 1.31 of Mercury provides a complete SMTP client and server
implementation which uses the NetWare TCP/IP stack provided with
NetWare 3.11. It also includes a comprehensive mail server which can
handle automatic mailing list management, file transmission, user
verification and more.

Like Pegasus Mail, Mercury is free software - you may install it
on as many servers as you wish without obligation or cost. Like
Pegasus Mail, manuals are optionally available for Mercury at
very reasonable prices, but there is absolutely no requirement
that you purchase them.

MASTGATE is set of programs for implementing dial-up UUCP gateway for
Pegasus Mail. This text describes each of these utilities. MASTGATE
is shareware. It is not crippled in any way and is fully functional
without any expiration time etc.

Export is a program that converts outbound UUCP mail from PMAIL's
gateway format (with "glue" headers) to separate files for UUCICO.

Glue is a poor mans replacement for PMAIL 3. David Harris made up
the name and the concept for this program. It basically scans
messages and rewrites them with "glue" headers (if the message does
not have these yet).

Import does the reverse of export - takes files received by UUCICO
and delivers them to NetWare mail directories. Basically, it extracts
the user name from the RFC address and looks for a NetWare user with
the same name. If none is found, the message is delivered to
postmaster (defined in control file). Import also sends a NetWare
broadcast message after delivery to all active users who had new
mail. Mail can be redirected from one user to another (or to several
others, or to group). Import can also handle NetWare groups and send
a message to all group members. Mailing to groups can be enabled on
group basis using the redirection section of control file.

Sleeper is a simple utility for wasting time. Basically, what it
does is scanning PMAIL's outbound mail directory every N minutes and
exiting if any outbound is found. It also counts minutes since last
mail session and exits when given number of minutes is passed.

MASTGATE can also be used as alternative transport method for
Mercury. (Yes, that means Mercury over UUCP). IMPORT will have all
it's message routing and notification disabled and will just deliver
all messages into Mercury spool directory, Mercury will pick them up
and deliver from there.

MASTGATE can be used on standalone configuration and on non-NetWare
LANs. Import uses the same way as PMAIL to locate user's mail
directory. There is a support for forming equivalent of netware
groups on non-netware lans.

> Kind regards,
>
> Pieter Hoogendoorn
> Pieter Hoogendoorn
>
> Vertraco Shipping B.V.
> 35, Veldkersweg
> 3053 JR Rotterdam
> Telephone :     +31.10.2858700
> Telefax   :     +31.10.2858710
> Telex      :    26067 VECO NL
> E-mail    :     [log in to unmask]

Thomas R. Stephenson, CPL          Phone: (408) 743-6608
Lockheed Martin Technical Operations Fax: (408) 743-0681
Technical Operations Engineering Services O/M2-21  B/158
P.O. Box 61687 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1687
Net: [log in to unmask]
Member Pegasus Mail Support Team
Thought for the day:
     We will fight to the death for our pacifist aims.