SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Julie Friedline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:57:26 -0600
Next spring I'll be teaching an undergraduate, introductory, course in
Documentary and U.S. Television
for the first time. I'd really appreciate any suggestions regarding books,
articles and other resources. I'll be taking the traditional path of TV
doc. through the network news departments, but I'm also expanding the
parameters to include anything "documentary" that's made for broadcast
& cable distribution. I'm also going to include a section on the
confusing/confounding genre of "docu-drama." I have come across a book
that's due for publication this
fall -- -Confronting Reality- by R.W. Kilborn and John Izod (which is
billed as an Introduction to Television Documentary). I haven't been able
to get much info from the publisher -- does anyone know anything about
this book? One basic question I have is -- does it cover U.S. TV? It's
from Manchester Univ. Press, so I'm just wondering.

Any other suggestions for books & articles? Also, what individual
documentaries would you consider indispensible for such a course?

Thanks!!

Julie Friedline
Dept. of Communication
University of St. Thomas