SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 4

From:
Denis Seguin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:38:17 -0500
Jeremy Butler writes:

>I'm always intrigued to read criticism of one medium by another--as in news
>stories *about* news coverage of sensational trials or Naomi Klein's
>analysis in the TORONTO STAR of the web woven by Time Warner around its
>release of SPACE JAM (thanks to Chris Worsnop for reprinting it for us).
>
>Klein's piece charts one example of contemporary intertextuality and media
>commerce and I enjoyed reading it for that, but I also am wary of newspaper
>articles that attack film and other media industries as if they [newspapers]
>were somehow separate from those industries and could not be tarred by the
>same brush. Is the TORONTO STAR itself not owned by a larger media concern
>(this is not a wholly rhetorical question; I really don't know)?

It's simply a large media concern all on its own. However, it bears
mentioning that Klein is a columnist and therefore not a paid employee of
the Star.

Incidently, Klein's piece was not alone in the Toronto Star coverage of
Space Jam.

On the front page of its Friday film section, the paper ran a front-page
photo-led, full-colour piece on the film's marketing campaign.