SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 3

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:19:27 -0600
>Don Larson noted:
>
>>The coloring issue goes beyond TLK, though.  For example, several reviewers
>>noted the dark skin tones of the evil poacher in THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER.
>
>>Richard Leskosky noted, in turn:

>Anyone who took the poacher to be anything other than Caucasian--a bad
>Caucasian--was being wilfully obtuse.  Must all color symbolism and
>expressive use of color henceforth be banned?

My memory is that the bad guy in RESUCERS DOWN UNDER was voiced by George
C. Scott and the character looked quite a bit like him, too.  This is the
first time I noted to myself, at least, that Disney was starting to draw
the animated figures to resemble the off-camera voices, as was pointed out
earlier, perhaps by Richard, that Disney had been doing of late.  Just a
note which doesn't necessarily contribute to the thread about race and
racism.

A bit in my local newspaper today, speaking of THE LION KING, mentioned
that it would be shown on ABC during the November sweeps, and pointed out
that the film had grossed over $700 million worldwide, and was the
best-selling video of all time.  I certainly think this does lend some
immediacy to the discussion of the film on this list, however much some of
us have disagreed!

David