SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Daniel Frampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:31:35 +0000
Only just heard there's a slomotion discussion going on . . .

May I point to an essay by a friend of mine, Albert Scott Albert, Towards a
Theory of Slow Motion, in New Scholarship from BFI Research, edited by
Colin MacCabe and Duncan Petrie (BFI, 1996). It is very debateable.

My favourite bit of slomo is the dog licking the guy's hand in Strangers on
a Train - for me the film thinking the emotional importance of the act *for
the guy, his re-recognition of morality via the dog's instinctual emotional
kindness?? - I'm going from memory.....

And speed motion in Element of Crime (von Trier), the guy in the car after
a murder, and The Night is Young (Carax), the girl at the end on the runway
- both moments beautifully thoughtful of their characters' existential need
to escape...

Daniel.