SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:51:42 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I want to pick the brain of the list for two things:

(1) Does anyone know of a web site or periodical that offers an up-to-date
list of the Top 10 Box Office Grossers (either US or International or --
ideally -- both) of all time?  and

(2) I teach an "Introduction to Communication Studies" course that deals
with, among other things, nonverbal symbols.  In this class, I've used film
scenes to illustrate different types or functions of nonverbal symbols.
For example, I've used:

**A scene from Ordinary People to illustrate proxemics, or the use of space
to communicate;

**The famous courtroom scene from The Caine Mutiny (with the ball bearings)
to illustrate kinesics (body language) and adapters (nervous non-verbal
habits).

BUT, I'm getting bored with these scenes.  Can anyone suggest movie clips
that are rich in nonverbal complexity, and illustrate some concept about
nonverbal symbols?  I'd appreciate not just suggesting a scene, but also
pointing out what you think the scene does nonverbally.  Things like
posture, eye contact, body language, spacial relations, paralanguage (the
way words are said) would be great!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Matt McAllister
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Department of Communication Studies at Virginia Tech Home Page:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/