SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 1

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:19:29 CST
From: Tony Williams
English
SIUC
 I'd really like to support Ed's points here particularly as I've been one
of the people asking for help in the past. About a year ago, one of our
correspondents sent an irritated message about enquiries he thought would
be easily answered from general film reference books. It turned out that
the enquirer was in a college where there was virtaully no money for books
on film and made the request in pure sincerity, not laziness.
  However, while instances may occur of queries(including myself)   needing
feedback from members on obscure topics as we are not all like "Mr. Memory"
of THE 39 STEPS. I think Ed has made a valid. Members should try all
available resources before asking advice about "how to write a paper on
STAR TREK or asking for William Shatner's address (e.g.).
   SCREEN-L began as a discussion network and it is that very welcome aspect
that is lacking at the moment. Remember, there are often many people working
in environments (particularly certain University departments) where stimulat-
ing debate is non-existent) and the only reading done is glancing at the label
of a can of Budweiser. I do not exaggerate. Such places exist, hence the very
welcome nature of SCREEN-L as a discussion group.
    Tony Williams