SCREEN-L  August 1995, Week 1

SCREEN-L August 1995, Week 1

CFP--1995 Sixties Conference, Deadline extended

Wed, 2 Aug 1995 20:09:01 CST

Forwarded by Jeremy Butler.

Date sent:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:43:18 EDT
Send reply to:  "Women's Studies List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:           Kali Tal <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        CFP--1995 Sixties Conference, Deadline extended
To:             Multiple recipients of list WMST-L <[log in to unmask]>

We've extended the deadline for the Conference to August 15. Please forward this
call for papers to any appropriate list or person.

                    !!!CALL FOR PAPERS!!!

            1995 SIXTIES GENERATIONS CONFERENCE

             An Interdisciplinary Conference of
               Scholars, Activists and Artists

                     October 5-8, 1995

            Western Connecticut State University
                    Danbury, Connecticut

                Proposals due: August 15, 1995

I invite you to join us for the third annual Sixties Generations Conference:
From Montgomery to Viet Nam on October 5-8, 1995.  Last year over 400 scholars
and students joined us at Western Connecticut State University to hear  more
than one hundred presentations by academics, activists, and artists.  The
Sixties Generations Conference is a showcase for intelligent and lively academic
work in a variety of disciplines and studies fields, but what makes it special
is the interdisciplinary emphasis and the collegial atmosphere.  We've
demonstrated that mixing academics with artists, crossing disciplines, and
spanning generations fosters a creative and collaborative excitement that can't
be matched.  Our evaluation forms showed that over 95% of those who attended
last year will be back in 1995.  Here are some comments we received:

    "The Conference provided a rare opportunity to not only learn from
    scholars and artists but to engage in fruitful discussion that
    multiplied the impact of the meetings many times over. The organization
    and administration of the conference was superb and the facilities
    excellent. What was most gratifying was how so many of the scholars and
    artists in their lives and work sought to cut across traditional
    boundaries of gender, academic disciplines, and even of age: there was a

    lively mix of younger students and scholars and well-established
    teachers and professors. I look forward to next year's meeting knowing
    it will be a highlight  of my academic annual activities."

    "The conference was an outstanding mix of scholars, students, artists,
    participants, participant-observers, etc. One could sample informal
    networking and heavy-duty scholarship. The interactions of panels and
    audience was lively and informative.  Keep it up!"

    "I particularly appreciated the interdisciplinary  nature of the
    conference. If not unique, it is extremely rare. Vietnam veterans,
    scholars, antiwar activists, artists, musicians, and writers all
    dealing with the same subject--in a better society, Vietnam
    Generation would be recognized and nurtured as a national resource.

We remain committed to interdisciplinary work and to seeking diverse
presentations. We particularly encourage the participation of those
traditionally under-represented in academic discourse, and we do not shrink
from controversial topics.  In addition to soliciting work from traditional
disciplines, we enthusiastically invite presentations in African American
Studies, Chicano Studies, Women's Studies, Native American Studies and other
studies programs.

We know that most of the best work at conferences is done between sessions, when
people get the chance to talk, to share stories, to set up collaborations.  So
we do our best to make sure that there is plenty of time for these activities-we
arrange for meals to be available at the conference site, set up a lounge for
refreshments, and keep coffee and tea available all day long.  We also arrange
evening events--our Sixties style coffeehouse reading was so successful last
year that we will do it again, breaking it up into two nights of poetry,
fiction, multimedia and performance art.

As usual, we are doing all this work on a shoestring.  Viet Nam Generation,
Inc., is a literary and educational nonprofit which cannot yet afford to salary
its staff. This conference has been supported entirely by volunteer efforts, the
registration fees of participants and by our book sales.  The facilities are
generously provided by Western Connecticut State University. We know that many
conferences can afford to waive fees for those presenting papers, but we cannot.
We do waive fees for those who would not otherwise be able to participate, and
we do our best to find alternative housing for those who cannot afford hotel
rooms.  We're committed to the notion that no one should be turned away for lack
of funds.  To meet this goal we rely on support from those who do   have
funds-faculty members or others with full-time positions and decent incomes.  In
fact, we encourage you, if you can afford it, to pay an extra registration fee
to cover someone else with fewer resources.

We also encourage you to subscribe to our journal, Viet Nam Generation, a forum
for interdisciplinary written work on the war.  We publish many of the Sixties
Generations Conference  papers in the pages of the journal, which is now
entering its seventh volume year.  Your support enables us to continue our
efforts.

Part of our philosophy is that we do not rank those who attend the Sixties
Generations Conference-there are no "stars" here; we don't even put your
institution on your name tag.  We have no "keynote" speakers or "special"
sessions.  Those who attend don't do it for their c.v.  They do it-and we do
it-because the work we all do is vital, because we believe in an alternative to
the rest of the deadly dull gatherings which pass for conferences in academia,
and because we are dedicated to building a community of scholars, activists, and
artists who can support each other in our work.

I look forward to seeing you in October.

Kali Tal
Sixties Project & Viet Nam Generation, Inc.
18 Center Rd., Woodbridge, CT 06525
203/387-6882; fax 203/389-6104
email: [log in to unmask]
home page: http://kalital.polisci.yale.edu