SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Michael Sime <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 05:38:22 -0400
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
text/plain (29 lines)
Film Look is the actual brand-name of a process that takes raw,
video-originated footage, and makes it look like it was shot on film. How? A
propitery system of black boxes, doohickeys and thingamabobs takes the
signal, drops a number of frames (like one every 6 seconds, or something
silly like that), and de-saturates some of the over-saturated, videoy-looking
chroma values of video.
There are a few places in NYK that do this. A few more that use other systems
to give film that "look". What they all do is try to introduce the slight
"strobe" effect you get from converting 24fps film to 30fps video, paint the
hue and chroma a bit, and even try to introduce something akin to a slight
rendering of gate weave. All these things in an effort to take the "perfect",
electronic video image, and give it some of the flaws that film has and makes
t so wonderful. Unfortunatley, it CANNOT give video the range in chroma and
contrast that film has. For that, we'll have to wait for someone to decide on
a HDTV standard.
If you'd like to find the name of a place or two that can perform this
process lemme know & I'll get their names to you. They ALL will send a reel
to show the process.
Now back to your analytical dicsussions ;)
Mike the Frelancr
To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]