SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Jeannette Sloniowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 11:04:39 -0400
Dear Nancy,

I have just completed a paper on docudrama.  My best sources were: BFI
Dossier #19: Drama-Documentary (ed. by Andrew Goodwin, et.al). This was far
and away the best source that I had.  Also, Seth Feldman's "Footnote to
Fact" in the Film Genre Reader, B. Grant editor.  See also Leslie
Fishbein's "Roots: Docudrama and the Interpretation of History" in American
History, American Television: INterpreting the Video Past.  You might also
look at David Thorburn's "Television Melodrama" in Television: the Critical
View, ed. Horace Newcomb, and Laurie Schutze's "The Made for Television
Movie: Industrial Practice, Cultural Form, Popular Reception" in Hollywood
in the Age of Television, ed. Tino Balio.
        The BFI Dossier has a large variety of opinion on docudrama, and
shows, I think, that there is much interesting work yet to be done on the
form.  John Caughie's work is of particular interest in that he tries to
define docudrama, and discuss its politics with respect to both documentary
and drama.
        Good luck with the paper.

Jeannette Sloniowski