SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:37:52 CST
Follow-up statements and questions to my 'Sub-titling Survey' posted last week-

'Foreign film' is a film genre with a mega-message; the world and local
views of diverse foreign societies, as seen through the eyes, languages and
personal histories of its authors.* Should sub-titling typographically
reinforce this message, or should it be transparently functional? Would one
apply the same sub-titling system to all foreign films? Can sub-titling be
made to reflect the character of a foreign-language culture, other than in
the most stereotypical and obtrusive ways?

The elements of foreign-language film sub-titling:

translation - literal vs. semantic

synchronization with the film spectacle and soundtrack

pacing

typography and layout

* The idiosyncratic concerns and modes of expression of various directors
and cinematographers, no matter how celebrated, are subsumed by the
formative influences of their respective societies, in my view. Of course,
international culture inexorably (and lamentably) becomes more
homogenous...

Thanks,

David Smith