SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 16:02:03 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] at SMTP-LINK
Date:    12/12/94 11:30 AM

[This message  was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the
SCREEN-L list.]

Jeremy Butler cites Renoir's films with Jean Gabin as working-class
representations (and quite rightly).  Let me add Clouzot's THE WAGES OF
FEAR (recently restored to full length) about truck drivers in Latin America
hauling a cargo of nitroglycerine over very bumpy roads.  It is, shall we
say, suspenseful?

Yves Montand stars in one of his best performances (taking, I suspect, a
few cues from Gabin).

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN