SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Bohdan Nebesio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 10:27:32 CST

Request for help:

In my research on silent cinema I found very little written on the
subject of movement (objects within the frame, camera, movement created
by editing etc.) in Western scholarship. Closely connected issues of
tempo and rhythm also received little attention. My problem is mainly
methodological: How does one account for movement, tempo and rhythm in
the analysis of film style?

I am quite familiar with the Soviet attempts to write on this subject
during the 1920s but would like to compare them with research done
elsewhere. I will be grateful for any bibliographic references. Please
e-mail me or post your response to the list. Thanks.

Bohdan Y. Nebesio
Department of Slavic & East European Studies
University of Alberta
450 Arts Building
Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2E6 Canada