SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 1994 10:00:43 CST

Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 1994 12:20:04 CST
From:         James Tichenor <[log in to unmask]>

I saw it last night and was very disappointed. I wanted so much to
love this movie, but found myself distant and uncaring by the end.
I'm not sure why, although I think the acting and script was
comprimised by the music running through some of the most important
scenes.

     I thought the acting was fine: Branagh *really* dominates, though;
     John Cleese was fine (but rather humorless; why Cleese?); DeNiro good
     (makeup was exceptional).  But I couldn't really get "into" the whole
     "creature" thing; it was much *less* to me than the reviews hinted at
     ...  And I agree the soundtrack was overwhelming at times.

I also found Branagh's use of multicut scenes jarring - ie: the
creature's first steps and Liz's re-animated dance with Victor.
DeNiro was good, but something was missing. I wish I could figure
out why I felt so emotionless for the majority of the picture,
especially since the friends I was with generally loved it.

     I quite agree.  I couldn't maintain much interest at all; the NYTimes
     review was pretty critical, and I found after seeing the movie, then
     reading the review, that I agree with much of that criticism.  The
     "big point" was that Branagh wasn't up to this, which was supposed to
     be Coppola's followup to _Bram Stoker's Dracula,_ which was, imo, much
     better done.  Coppola "couldn't" do it (direct, though he produced),
     so he gave it to Branagh, whose _Henry V_ and _Much Ado About Nothing_
     were *much* different kinds of movies than _Frankenstein_.

Maybe had to do with the people constantly talking behind me. Is it
my imagination or is this getting to be worse. The last few films
I've seen have included running commentaries from the crowd in the
form of whispers and extremely loud popcorn eating. Has TV
destroyed the theatre experience? Do people forget they are in a
theatre and think they are back home on the couch, able to blabber
on at the the most inopportune moments?

          Don't get me started ... :)

                    Brian
                     New to the list ... :)