SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 1994 09:24:45 CDT
Forgive the duplication (if it is), I can't recall if this made it
through to SCREEN-L...

Please respond directly to Bart Hofstede.  I don't think he's on SCREEN-L.

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 14:55:30 MET
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: indies in US

Hello,
This is a request to people familiar with the screening situation in the U.S.
I am currently working on an article that deals with the international
position of Dutch filmmaking and the role of international film festivals.
One of the blanks in my knowledge, though indirectly connected with my
subject, is the screening situation in the U.S.. I wonder if anyone could
help me answering the following questions:

1. Where, in what part of cities and towns are cinema's located?
2. What kind: multiplexes, Chicano/Latino/Afro-american/Italian theatres, art
   houses, university theatres, etc.
3. Where can one see `classical' (European and Hollywood) cinema?
4. Where can one see recent international cinema (only at film festivals?)
5. Which specialized TV-stations broadcast cinema, and what kind of cinema,
   nation-wide?
6. How about video-rental or sale (via mail-order?) What types are rented/sold
   and how accessible are they?

and, possibly:

6. Are there trends, and in what direction?

and, perhaps the only important answer to give me:

7. If these and similar questions questions have already been treated, where
   do I find this literature?

You can mail me directly, if you wish, at:    [log in to unmask]

Thanks very much for your attention and possibly for your kind assistance,

Bart Hofstede
Dept. of art studies
Erasmus University
Rotterdam, the Netherlands