SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Jim Grubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 1994 14:09:47 -0500
 I'd like to ask the help of those on the list with the following:

 1.  I am trying to locate a copy of the 12 episodes of "An American
     Family" which originally began airing in January 1973 on WNET and other
     public tv stations.  I have been able to locate several "archival"
     copies but nothing that is close enough to me to allow viewing
     or close enough for travel on limited graduate student funds.  The
     film is also not available for rental in any form (semi-definitive
     answer from both PBS and the original filmmakers.)

     The series was repeated in December 1990 and on New Year's Eve
     shortly thereafter on WNET and possibly other public television
     stations.

     The series was also featured at the Museum of Broadcasting in February
     1988 as part of a WNET historical perspective.

 2.  I'm also looking for "American Family Revisited" which originally aired on
     HBO in August 1983.  It also was repeated on WNET during the December
     1990 repeat of the original series.

 3.  If you know of any scholarly work that was done on this series, I would
     appreciate a pointer to the author/source of the work.  Dissertation
     abstracts reveals nothing obvious.  Most periodical indexes that I
     have access to show a number of pieces in popular periodicals and
     I have already made arrangements to obtain those.  The big problem is
     that most databases don't go back to the 1973 era and I've not had
     much luck with the paper indexes and abstracts that I do have access
     to.  I'm desperate for scholarly citations on this topic.

 My research is centered on the effective use of television programming in
 the communication classroom.  Specifically, I am working on a curriculum
 that uses MTV's "The Real World" to illustrate basic communication skills
 and principles.  My paper "Here In The Real World: MTV Meets The Communication
 Classroom" has been accepted for presentation at this year's national
 convention of the Speech Communication Association.

 Since "The Real World" is constantly compared to "An American Family" I
 am working on a paper that seeks to juxtapose the two programs across time
 and cultural changes.  Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

 Cheers

 --Jim Grubbs
 Department of Speech Communication
 Indiana University - Bloomington

 * Please tell me what you know about "An American Family" circa 1973   *
 * Jim Grubbs  IU Speech Communication  [log in to unmask]  *