SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Sender:
From:
"Edward R. O'Neill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 1994 10:55:00 PDT
One fascinating element of Philadelphia is the way homophobia is situated
in relation to male competition:  the two lawyer-competitors must be
turned into non-sexual (of course) friends.  Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's
work (notably in The Epistemology of the Closet) emphasizes exactly
the importance of male homosocial relationships for situating homo-
phobia.  Philadelphia brings out this nexus quite clearly:  male
social bonds (e.g., the law firm) are central, while any sexuali-
z-ation of these male bonds is taboo.
The odd thing about the narrative form of the film is the way the
contemporary Hollywood narrative structure (the little train that
could) must be refurbished to allow the queer to die.  Philadelphia
is a weird cross between Inherit the Wind and Camille:  a trial
movie and a disease movie combined.  By this mechanism the male
bond between the two laywers can be kept safe:  there's no danger
that sexuality will filter into this bond.
All of which is just tosay that the film is not just bad or good,
politically reactionary or progressive, but an interesting text
in which more is probably legible about the dangers of homo-
phobia than meets the eye.
I hope these few remarks put the film in a more interesting light.
Yours,
Edward R. O'Neill, UCLA