SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Alison McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 16:00:00 PDT
Re: "The Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl":

> I am not so very sure if I can share your opinion. I do not want to
> critisize the filmmaker. He had best intentions and did what he could do.
> But Mrs. Riefenstahl is a very obstinate person. I saw her leaving life tv
> discussions because someone said something which she disliked. She went to
> court because a German documentary filmmaker (Nina Gladitz) had dared to say
> that she had used, for TIEFLAND, as statists, gipsies from a Nazi camp (She
> lost the case: it was proved that she indeed had made her films with gypsies
> from a Nazi camp). I am sure that she never would allow any filmmaker to say
> something which she hasn't approved. The documentary indeed gives some
> information on how she worked. But in all political and ideological
> questions I am afraid the documentarist became her victim. Sorry.
>
> --- Klaus

One of the reasons I liked the documentary so well is that, through its own
rhetorical strategies, it is able not only to make the same points about
Riefenstahl that you have just done, but also to be self-conscious about
its construction of a specific perspective toward Riefenstahl and her work --
as Riefenstahl herself cannot (or refuses to) be with respect to herself
and her career.

What makes you feel that the filmmaker became Riefenstahl's victim?

Alison McKee
Department of Film and Television
UCLA