SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 10:20:36 EDT
Jeremy wrote, (about the Crooklyn segment:)
>"Since the theater I saw it in is well known for projection screw-ups,
I zipped out to the lobby immediately upon seeing the anamorphic
segment. The theater manager was perplexed as to what was happening."<
when I saw the film last month in New Jersey, it seemed that the
projectionist was the most confused soul in the place. When the sequence
started, he or she must have been startled -within 45 seconds the lens was
changed and we started to see the images in a "normal" way. But when the
section ended it took about 60 seconds for the lens to be replaced.
Personally, I thought that the music was quite good, giving it a proper
flavor. There were times I could almost *smell* the scenery. But the script
left me a little flat, the development was at times rushed and yet at other
times it dragged. However, most of the time the distractions were enough to
keep me going. I usually find that Spike's indulgences are at least
interesting. And, directorially, he is ever the student of film. There are
always tips of the hat to the great ones from the past.
Back to the subject of squeezed images: What about those great big movie
opens with wall to wall action and lots of big letters to get the message
across, but put into the girdle of the tv screen. For now, what's the
alternative, other than letterboxing and big screens?
Thanks.
Sincerely, Chad Dominicis.