SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 18:40:42 EDT
I'm just going through my pile of "To Be Read" books and I'm wondering if
anyone has read any of the following works:

HOLLYWOOD EAST
Louis B. Mayer and the Origins of the Studio System
by Diana Altman

THE ROMANCE OF ADVENTURE
The Genre of Historical Adventure Movies
by Brian Taves

THALBERG
The Last Tycoon and the World of MGM
by Roland Flamini

ILLUMINATING SHADOWS
The Mythic Power of Film
by Geoffrey Hill

I'd appreciate any coments on which works are or are not worth my time.

By the way, let me recommend a short book called THE PHANTOM EMPIRE by
Geoffrey O'Brien.  It's not really a scholarly work -- more a long essay on
growing up watching movies.  Although it peters out a little toward the end,
it's a very enjoyable light read -- real cineaste stuff.

Best to all,

Michael Muller
USC