SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 12:55:42 EST
TO: Dale Church

Your message about Custer movies was forwarded to me by one of my colleagues
in the Department of Communication at Indiana State University. I write and
lecture frequently about the Indian Wars, including Custer. Besides "Little
Big Man" and "They Died with Their Boots on" - both of which rest at the
extremes of Custerdom - several other movies are worth looking at, including
"Tonka," "Sitting Bull," and "Custer of the West." Of course, more recently
we have "Son of the Morning Star," which was a TV mini-series about two
years ago.

Send me your mailing address and I'll mail you a couple of articles written
on the subject of Custer and the movies. It's a pretty common topic.

By the way, at each spring's Popular Culture Convention, I chair a panel on
Custer and the Indian Wars. This year's meeting takes place later this week
in Chicago. If you would be interested in a future year's presentation, let
me know.

>>Sandy Barnard
Associate Professor of Journalism
Department of Communication