SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

Sender:
From:
Brigid Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 12:36:56 GMT
>Incidentally, apparently _RD_ has been banned on video in
>the UK, so has therefore become something of a cult film, playing every
>weekend or so at a cinema in Leicester Square.

The official line from the BBF&VC is, I believe, that the release of the
film on video has been delayed, not banned. It came up for video
certification shortly after the James Bulger case and the backlash against
horror/violent videos. James Ferman (head of BBF&VC) stated, if I remember
correctly, that he did not want to release ResDogs in that climate since it
would probably have to be cut and would prefer to delay its release until
such as time as cuts would not have to be made. How sincere this is and
whether or not the delay will prove to be indefinite or not are interesting
questions. It also raises some points about the possibly covert nature of
censorship here, especially considering the current fuss over Ferman's
running of the BBF&VC.

Also, an MP is tabling a bill to Parliament that will prevent many films
ever being released on video.

Brigid Cherry