SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 12:20:33 EST

> I was dissapointed.
>
> Allow me to intro myself before i explain why, for this is my first post.
> I am a writer/playwrite, i have had one of my plays produced and am
> currently working on my first novel.  It is my belief that all works, film
> or literature are to tell a story. I envision myself to be a storyteller
> over a writer.  Any story is centered around characters, without them you
> have no story.  Every time you stray from them, you are not telling a story.
>
> I was confused as to the transformation of Schindler from capitalist to
> humanist.  Where was the transformation, how did the character change and
> why?  Some may say that in the face of what was being presented to him he
> was bound to change and it was obvious.  I will argue that others never
> changed, so why did he. I wanted the movie to be about someone!  It was
> about something and, in my opinion, that is not storytelling.
>
>                         --Craig
Thank you, Craig.  I thought I was alone in my opinion of "List", but I
find, encouragingly, that I'm not.  There was no CHANGE in the character of
Schindler thoughout the film, as far as I was concerned, he had no emotional
characteristics and was driven by greed, sex and pure hedonism.  His change
,so called, was melodramatic hogwash...and I had never seen so many well-fed
people in a concentration camp.
I was actually offended by the film...
Sandy Dwiggins

+  Sandy Dwiggins               Internet: [log in to unmask]        +
+  Building 82, Room 111        Phone: (301) 496-7406                    +
+  Bethesda, Maryland 20892     Fax:   (301) 480-8105                    +