SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 22:35:00 EST
Amidst the recent discussion on Schindler and Night and Fog and pseudo-
documentary, I have a request to make:

For the past three weeks, our UNC-Chapel Hill campus daily has been run-
ning an advertisement in the classified section for a video "documentary
which shows you what _Schindler's List_ didn't show you about Auschwitz.
"  The filmmaker behind this production is a DAVID COLE--apparently an
outspoken *Holocaust denier*.  The company to which to send for this
video for $14.95 is a "D & B Productions."

The ad cites someone like Yehuda Bauer, head of National Hebrew Universi
ty (?), as praising the film as "A powerful film..."  Although Bauer
exists, he apparently has never seen the video and the Simon Wisenthal
(misspelled?) Center in Los Angeles has been tracking down DAVID COLE
for some time now.

I do not wish to get into a debate over the merits of the video or such
arguments.  I wish to ask WHETHER OR NOT ANYONE ELSE HAS SEEN SIMILAR
ADVERTISEMENTS IN THEIR LOCAL NEWSPAPERS OR ANYWHERE ELSE.

If you have,please send a response to me or my friend (for whom I am
making this request) describing where/when/what/etc. you saw.

I believe that this is relevant to screen-l since it is a video and pro-
duced as a documentary.  This may raise all sorts of issues/questions
about the (post-mod?) nature of documentary/fiction, any filmic depict-
ion of the Holocaust or socially relevent film.  I will leave these
discussions to others.

Thanks.
--Sterling Chen (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student)
(or my friend: [log in to unmask])