from an article on rec.arts.movies, posted by Jim Pellmann
([log in to unmask])
"Fear of Drowning by Numbers"
published by: Dis Voir
9, rue Saint-Augustin
available in the US from: Nicole Klagsbrun Gallery
51 Greene Street
New York, NY 10013
paperback (6 x 8.5 inches), 152 pages, $20.00
Greenaway has written 100 short essays about the film "Drowning by
ranging from one sentence to several pages in length. Nearly every one
contains an insight or explanation into the film that I didn't catch.
- the origin of the names of the 100 stars that the Skipping Girl counts,
many references to other Greenaway films and other art works
- the origin of each Cissie Colpitts character
- the origin of the names of the seven Water-Tower Conspirators (all names
uttered as part of the dying words of famous Englishmen!)
- the complete rules of each of the games
- the many running themes (insects, sheep, architecture) and their
There are also black and white stills from the film, many of Greenaway's
original sketches, and reproductions of the art works that inspired certain
sets and scenes.
This is a truly amazing insight into the mind of Greenaway and the amount
thought that goes into his films. Highly recommended.
Text is in both English and French.