SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1992 09:33:52 -0500
Like Cal, I'm inclined to believe you shouldn't give up on "The Negro Soldier,"
Kristine.  There _are_ exceptions to programs issuing from the federal governmen
   t being p.d. (when they've contracted the work with an outside agency)--but
"Negro Soldier" shouldn't be one of them.  It was produced by the War Dept.
according to the opening credits, and unless our copy is missing more credits on
the tail end, that would be enough justification for me.  I don't know either
whether you just got a generalized bureaucratic runaround, or perhaps there's
some current policy to dissuade the program's dissemination due to sensitivity
to its "outdated" views.  (These seem to me rather minor compared to the views
of another production almost gone from availability--"Know Your Enemy--Japan",
which I find, putting aside its ferocious propaganda, to be a brilliant job
of conception and editing by Frank Capra's unit.) I'd pursue using this program
further (especially since I can't think of an alternative source of footage
myself!).

Jeff Clark
Media Resources
James Madison Univ.