SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
Andrew Vernon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1992 21:07:50 CDT
On Mon, 25 May 1992 20:43:50 EDT <IP15114@PORTLAND> said:
>I am interested in any thoughts you might have
>about synaesthetic cinema and Altmans "The Player"
>Does anyone have comments on the signifigab of the
>multiple reflected images?

One of the most significant symbols in _The Player_ is the abundance of
the color blue. I don't know if this involves your question, but it is
fasinating. Most of the scenes involve at least one blue object: The
paint on the walls of the backlot offices, Most of the primary characters'
eyes, the costumes, the clock in the offices, June's paintings. Since
blue is associated with coolness (June did mention an _Icelandic_ heritage)
and a lot of activity in the film industry is presumably "cold-blooded,"
the prsence of the color could be interepreted as a statement of a predominant
attitude in the industry.

As far as symbolism goes, I think _The Player_ is probably the first film
I've seen in a while that effectively makes a statement through the use
of symbolism.

          War cannot for a single minute be separated from politics.
                                     --Mao Tse-tung
||                          Andrew Vernon                             ||
||                     Anything is possible...                        ||
|| BITNET: AVERNON1@UA1VM             Internet: [log in to unmask] ||
|| Student Publications - The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala. ||