SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 16:39:29 PST
I quite agree with Cal Pryluck that TRIUMPH OF THE WILL is a very
sophisticated piece of political propaganda, designed to smooth over
the Rohm purge and to explain the ascendency of the S.A. over the S.S.
The historian Wilhelm van Campen and others have raised the point that
TRIUMPH OF THE WILL was not universally greeted with critical adulation
upon its release in Germany, nor were the audiences very large.

There is an interesting set of behind the scenes photographs of the
film in production entitled HINTER DEN KULISSEN DES REICHSPARTEITAGSFILM
(forgive me for any imprecise memory and a total lack of umlauts) which
I've seen in the Museum of Modern Art library. The impression from the
pictures and text is that the film was very carefully designed, with
considerable pre-production planning.

-Henry Breitrose
 Dept. of Communication
 Stanford

=The above is mine alone. Stanford has no opinion=