SCREEN-L Archives

September 1991

From:
Mark Shechner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1991 04:32:00 EDT
Jeremy Butler and others,

Re: accessing the Library of Congress. There is a limited access to the
LC title/author catalog by the public by TELNETing DRA.COM. DRA.COM is a
private firm that has licensed the LC catalog and sells membership to
libraries. Whether individuals can also subscribe I don't know. As a sort
of come on device, DRA.COM permits on subscribers to do title and author
searches free of charge, but not subject searches. To do that you have to
be a subscriber. Insofar as about 200 libraries allow you do do subject
searches for free over Internet, I'm not sure the LC catalog subscription
is really worth the cost.

Mark Shechner
English
SUNY, Buffalo