SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

From:
Cassandra VanBuren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 91 15:48:00 PDT
Whoa!  Malcolm Dean!  Chill...  I too have heard of Campbell's
antisemitism.  Not all of us have the time to "source" everything
we have heard or know.

I have trouble with Campbell
's work for a different reason.  I find he focuses exclusively on
phallocentric myth (at least in the works I've read, and in the
Bill Moyers PBS special on him), leaving out any myth that may be
relevant for women.  All his talk about heroes, warriors, princes...
all male.  Women do not fit into these structures except as those who
need to be rescued or otherwise corrected.

I'm bothered that Campbell consistently said these myths he related
are UNIVERSAL.  They don't work for me.

Thoughts?

Cassandra Van Buren