SCREEN-L Archives

February 2022, Week 3

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2022 16:46:32 -0500
MAMA GLORIA

Documentary on Trans Studies, Women’s Studies and Black Studies

Available from Third World Newsreel

“An empowering portrait of a resilient, wise and infectiously joyous trans
elder.”

- The Queer Review

At a time when Black transgender women face escalating violence and make up
the majority of transgender people murdered each year, Gloria Allen’s story
is an inspiring portrait of aging seldom seen. Born in 1945, Gloria came of
age amid the legendary drag balls on Chicago’s South Side. She transitioned
four years before Stonewall with the support of the women in her family,
including her mother Alma, a former showgirl and Jet magazine centerfold,
and her grandmother Mildred, a seamstress who sewed clothes for
crossdressers and male strippers. Never imagining that she would make it
past 40, let alone 60 or 70, Gloria felt compelled to open a charm school
for young homeless trans people in Chicago offering lessons on love, makeup
and manners that she received from her mother and grandmother. Now, living
alone in a building for LGBTQ seniors and surviving on social security and
a house-cleaning job, Gloria continues to grow old with joy, dignity and
grace.

[image: mama-gloria-cover-b&w.jpeg]

LDF, DSL and DVD: twn.org/film.aspx?rec=1542

WATCH TRAILER: https://vimeo.com/672541797

Press Kit: https://www.twn.org/catalog/guides/mama-gloria-press-kit.pdf

Rental Request Form: https://goo.gl/forms/QOtoJrxSrNU6ImS42

“...an inspirational film about life struggle, self-acceptance, and the
beautiful transition of women aging gracefully.”

- Irish Film Critic

“Fisher’s debut documentary feature…is a love letter to the charismatic
activist.”

- Chicago Reader

Sincerely,
Roselly Torres
Third World Newsreel
1 (917) 615-2244 (cellphone)
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Pronombre: ella

We are working remotely and we hope that everyone is staying safe. We are
responding to emails and voicemails and can handle educational and
exhibition orders and needs. Our media workshops and evening seminars
continue, but virtually.

If you wish to learn more about Third World Newsreel, please visit our
website, www.twn.org, subscribe to our monthly newsletter (text TWN to
22828), and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vimeo.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org