SCREEN-L Archives

August 2011, Week 1

From:
Kelly Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:05:50 -0500
Sorry for cross-posting

I'm trying to complete a lineup for this proposed panel for this year's SCMS.  If anyone has anything they would be interested in contributing, please send me a bio and a 250 word proposal by August 12.  I will send responses about panel acceptance by Monday August 15.   NOTE: While proposals can deal with television (musical stars on TV, Glee, etc.), they can also address other forms.  Please pass this on to others who might be interested.

Singing Across Places and Spaces: The Temporal and Contextual Fluidity of the Hollywood Musical

While the recent success of Glee and high profile film to Broadway transfers like Legally Blonde and Catch Me If You Can have highlighted the transtextual possibilities of Hollywood and Broadway musicals, the form has always flourished across contexts.  Whether floating from Broadway to film, film to television, or across genres, the stars and sounds of the musical have been anything but static.  This panel will interrogate such fluidity in both historical and contemporary settings.  How has the cultural cache of musical stars and styles been used ahistorically and across platforms (television, stage, screen, radio)? How has the musical form been used in unexpected contexts or within forms that seemingly work against musical norms?  Why have specific historical moments been more hospitable to such generic boundary breaking or blurring?

Thanks,

Kelly Kessler
Asst. Professor of Media and Cinema Studies
College of Communication
DePaul University

Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org