SCREEN-L Archives

March 2010, Week 2

From:
Cynthia Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 22:18:03 -0500
Call for Papers

“Dangerous, Transgressive, and Unloved: The View from Way Outside”
2010 Film & History Conference: Representations of Love in Film and Television
November 11-14, 2010
Hyatt Regency Milwaukee
www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory
Third Round Deadline: June 1, 2010

AREA:  Dangerous, Transgressive, and Unloved:  The View from Way Outside:

This area invites papers that explore films and filmmakers offering dangerously alternative “points-of-view” to our dominant film and video culture. Rejected and distinctly *un-loved,* these views are deemed not simply subversive, but criminally dangerous to the central values of American Culture. Papers should examine the methods and meanings provoked by films and filmmakers representing such radical cinematic “points-of-view.”

The area is not limited to the traditional medium of film, but is open to similar examples in television, video, and new media.

Possibilities include, but are not limited to such topics as:

•	Film and/or media works exploring or made by media makers from despised
        communities (i.e., drug addicts, prison populations, sex-workers, pedophiles,
        and practitioners of S & M, bondage, incest, etc.)

        Possible films: Hard Candy; An Education; Born Into Brothels; 9 ˝ Weeks;
        My Lover, My Son: The Hamiltons; La Petit Lili; Trainspotting.

•	The work of historically subversive media makers such as:  Jack Smith,
        Kenneth Anger, (Early) John Walters, Kathy Acker, Lizzie Borden, and
        other film and media makers who challenged the line between art, the
        offensive, and the pornographic.

•	Dangerous and transgressive media that extends beyond the personal, to include
        politically dangerous media, such as the use of offensive film or videos as
        political discourse.

•	Any and all papers that examine the various intersections of film and media art
        and dangerous, transgressive topics in contemporary culture will be considered.

If we should NOT be talking about your paper topic, this is the area where we can talk about it.

Please send your 200-word proposal by e-mail to the area chair:

G. Tom Poe, Ph.D.
The Department of Communication Studies
The University of Missouri-Kansas City
202 Haag Hall
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, Missouri, 64110

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Tele:  816-235-1691
Fax: 816-235-5539

Panel proposals for up to four presenters are also welcome, but each presenter must submit his or her own paper proposal. For updates and registration information about the upcoming meeting, see the Film & History website (www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory).

http://www.ScreenSite.org