SCREEN-L Archives

August 2008, Week 1

From:
David Tetzlaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:59:33 -0400
To anybody on this list who doesn't know what Pat Aufderheide has
been up to... she has been doing heroic, absolutely necessary work on
Fair Use. EVERY film maker and film educator needs to be informed on
this issue. The Center for Social Media will have more clout if more
people get behind it, this really is a "we must all hang together or
surely we will hang separately" (B. Franklin)  kind of thing. So if
you can't make a conference panel, go to their website and check out
the material they've prepared.

Pat and the Center have strategically focused on one a particular
slice of the bigger issue, so I would also urge film people to check
out other efforts to protect filmmaker's rights and battle the
corporate misuse of copyright, including Jem Cohen's opposition to
restrictive regulations against street photography in NYC.