SCREEN-L  February 2007, Week 1

SCREEN-L February 2007, Week 1

Re: 4. Importing DVD clips to PowerPoint etc

Maria Antonia Velez <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:19:12 -0800

You can rip the DVD using a DVD-decripting tool (i.e. be a bit of a pirate).  That will give you some .VOB files.  Then you can convert this into .MPG files using Ciberlink's PowerEncoder MPEG-4.  If you convert a whole .VOB file, PowerEncoder will give you several mpg clips, but as far as I know, you cannot choose how they are divided.  So if you are lucky and they are cut just the way you need it, then you can just take them.  Otherwise, you can import them into a video-editing software v.g. Premiere, put them back together and then export as an .avi file the parts that you need.
I find the whole thing quite complicated, but I've done it and it worked.  I also believe there must be easier ways to get it done, but I only work with freeware or trial versions that I can download.
Feel free to e-mail me if I can help you in any way.

Maria Antonia Vélez
Bogota, Colombia.