SCREEN-L Archives

March 2005, Week 3

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:17:14 +0000
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture came out on Friday, March 18. This issue
features columns by Faye Ginsburg, L.S. Kim, Allison McCracken, Eileen
Meehan, and John Sinclair along with a guest column by Will Brooker.

We have also published a one-shot piece by Patrick J. Walsh.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Will Brooker asks "could we describe fans' involvement in series like The
X-Files, 24, Twin Peaks and Dawson's Creek, as the experience of optimal
fullfilment that Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls "flow""? Could we do it even
if Csikszentmihalyi thinks TV is crap?

Faye Ginsburg critiques the established debates on the digital divide as
shaping the UN and other organizations' policy in the matter and suggests
that this developtmentalist discourse is out of touch with the real needs of
impoverished peoples around the globe.

L.S. Kim explores current nanny reality television programs in the context
of the traditional representation of the American domestic.

Allison McCracken writes about primetime shows like EVERWOOD, THE OC,
SMALLVILLE, and JACK AND BOBBY, arguing that tv has re-gendered the teen
primetime show male.  She discusses the various gender and sexual politics
dealt with on these programs, specifically pregnancy and homosexuality.

Eileen Meehan explores the otherworldly terrain of UFO controversies in an
effort to demonstrate how the recent ABC news special _Seeing_ fails its
mission to be sweeps-worthy "good fluff."

John Sinclair’s column analyses Indian Television over the past fifteen
years, and the complex interrelationships of TV production and programming
at the regional, national and the global level.

Patrick J. Walsh writes about the popularity of American Westerns on German
television.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Best,

Avi Santo & Christopher Lucas
Coordinating Editors
Flow