SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:51:35 -0600
On Monday, January 17, 2005, at 07:10 AM, Jeremy Butler wrote:

> This is all part of an on-going issue I'm struggling with:  How does
> one encourage students to do course readings?

Jeremy raises an interesting question here and as someone who is rather
new to the classroom I'd be interested in hearing how some of the more
seasoned professors on this list handle this issue when dealing with
undergrads.

Since I first stepped foot in a classroom, I've worked under the
assumption that most students do not spend much time preparing for
classes. Instead they seem to assume that professors will impart all,
or at least most, of the necessary information during the class
meetings. Due to this, I have made a habit of outlining assigned
readings (or a similar reading if you want to keep lectures fresh for
those who do read). Then, I lecture from those outlines, supply
pertinent examples of the concepts discussed and provide students
access to the lecture notes I have created. In other words, I spoon
feed them.

I think this process often leads students to believe they can avoid the
readings in favor of the lecture notes. In my short experience, it does
seem that students read my lecture notes. Even when they do not, they
usually get a sufficient dose of the lesson in class lectures and often
seem more open to participate in class discussions once they have
become familiarized with the concepts being discussed. In essence, they
end up reading abbreviated versions of the assigned essays which is
probably more than they do in many classes.

However, I can also see where some of my colleagues might view the
process I undertake as part of the problem instead of a potential
solution. Is my process an answer to this problem or is really just
avoiding and accepting that problem?

-chad