SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 3

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:17:19 -0500
On Luned́, gennaio 17, 2005, at 07:45  PM, Chris Horak wrote:

> Mike:
> One can try a really novel idea and go to the library, where you will
> find the
> Reader's Guide to Periodic Literature (Reference section),
> where under motion pictures, reviews are listed by film title and
> journal.
>
> JC Horak

	Though I am aware that my thoughts on Dr. Horak's thoughts about Dr.
Bentley's request might start a polemic, I am writing to say that I
applaud the former's response to the latter's query.  When I first read
the post, I thought Dr. Bentley was joking and I welcomed it as a
much-needed commercial break in yet another thankless job market.
Then the suggestions started coming in and I realized that this was
serious business, indeed.
	  Engaging in this kind of exchange -- asking a question that a
student in an intro. to film studies course might have prior to writing
their final paper -- seriously undermines  Screen-L's credibility, I
think as a forum for serious discussion.   Let me add that I felt the
same way about a question that came up a while ago, concerning
assigning difficult feminist film theories in our courses.  I sent a
reply reminding the poster that it is our intellectual responsibility
as educators to unpack such (any) difficult concepts for our students.
My message did not pass the censorship board, however.  Hopefully, this
one will.

	Gloria Monti

gloria monti, ph.d.
cleveland heights, OH