SCREEN-L Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
William Rainbolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:30:27 -0400
I don't have a lot to add to all the helpful suggestions and comments on
various DVD editions, but I do offer two thoughts:

(1) I've have good luck with DVD editions that include the "Anatomy of a
Scene" feature from the Sundance Channel.  They can be quite helpful for
giving a class a quick introduction to several different aspects of
filmmaking, since they do break down several elements of the scene, showing
the process and the product.

(2) And speaking specifically of documentaries: I would suggest that a DVD
edition might even be able to challenge us to think about what we think we
know about a film or its subject based only on viewing the original release
itself, or put another way, when does a film end?  Specifically, I'm
referring to the DVD edition of "Capturing the Friedmans."  First watch the
107-minute original film, and think about it by itself.  Consider what you
think you know about the subject, the allegations, the family history (and
histrionics) what your interpretations and feelings are, what is said and
left unsaid, and so on.  Do a thorough job on that.  Then, watch the over
two-hours of added footage and information, and you may find yourself
thinking, "There's more to this story than the original film showed."
There's the film life, and then the after-film life, and . . . when does it
end?  What do we really "know" after viewing the release version of a film,
especially a documentary?

On the other hand, maybe DVDs just intensify the angst we already feel in an
information-overload world.

Bill Rainbolt
UAlbany