SCREEN-L Archives

August 2004, Week 4

From:
Lou Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:12:55 -0500
This is so frustrating, isn't it?

I used Turnitin (www.turnitin.com) for a few years, thinking I was going to catch any plagiarism.  But last year when I found some phrases that were obviously not the student's, I ran it through the program and it came up clean.  So I did my own google search, typing the phrases in quotation marks.  I found about a dozen plagarized phrases.

When I check with the Turnitin people, they explained that the program only searches for phrases of more than eight words that are plagiarized, so when students steal a seven-word phrase, they don't get caught.

Obviously I dropped Turnitin and have been looking for better software.