SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:44:16 -0400
Hi everybody -

Following up on the recent discussion on women filmmakers, I'm wondering if
anybody can recommend a good documentary on women in American film for
classroom use. I'm interested in both documentaries about women filmmakers,
and documentaries on the representation of women in film. I'm thinking of
the equivalent of "The Celluloid Closet" (on gays and lesbians) and
"Classified X" (on African-Americans). I know there are several feminist
works along the lines of Sut Jhally's "Dream Worlds," but I'd prefer
something more specific to film, and ideally more historical. Right now I
use excerpts from Margaret Cho's "I'm the One That I Want," which is a great
account of one actress's experience of sexism and racism, but ideally I'd
complement that with something with a broader scope. Any suggestions?

Also - one recommendation on the subject of women filmmakers: this recent
article in Salon:

http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2002/08/27/women_directors/

-- Ted Friedman
Assistant Professor