SCREEN-L Archives

June 2001, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:53:39 -0400
>but mixing the modern (music) with the old (setting, customs etc.) >seems to be a new twist. Is it?

I guess the actual question is meant to be whether pre-existing pop songs are being used in an obviously anachronous manner.  After all there are thousands of operas, operettas, musicals and movies that use modern music with old settings, some even as an artistic strategy (ranging from Schoenberg's Moses und Aron to Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate).  This might be a new development in this specific situation where the songs provide the bulk of the score but there have been isolated instances.  Most of these are deliberately comic (like Raymond Scott's band in Eddie Cantor's Ali Baba Goes to Town, Marty McFly performing Chuck Berry in Back to the Future) or market-considerations (Jon Bon Jovi's song in Young Guns II) or experimental (Kenneth Anger, Bruce Connor, possibly Dennis Potter).  Oddly enough I think the original plans for Singin' in the Rain would have done the same thing; if I remember right it was intended to use the same songs as the current film (most or all of which we!
!
re written in the late 20s) but set a few decades earlier at the turn of the century.