SCREEN-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Screening the past <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:50:06 +1100
Hi,

Issue 11 of Screening the past is now available for reading online. This
issue, edited by Ina Bertrand features a number of articles dealing with
early film / culture adaptations in Asia. As always we are interested in
about the issues raised. And as always all past articles are available
throught the archive on the site.

This issue also marks an innovation for the journal: the implementation of a
"Friends of screening the past" scheme. It has always been our intention to
make our journal available to anyone with access to the World Wide Web, and
for this reason we do not charge subscriptions. However we still operate in
a material world in which we do have financial expenses which must be
defrayed. Our solution: a voluntary subscription. You can find out more by
clicking on the "Friends of Screening the past" buttons at various locations
on the site. If you believe that the journal provides a good service and if
you are willing and able to make some contribution to the continuation of
the service please donate to "Friends of Screening the past".

Highlights of issue 11 are the following articles and reviews:

__Articles__

Dancing shadows of film exhibition: Taiwan and the Japanese influence, by
Jeanne Deslandes.

Xiqu and Dianying: the interaction between traditional theatre and Chinese
cinema by Wenwei Du.

Comprehensive connections: the film industry, the theatre and the state in
the early Japanese cinema by Freda Freiberg .

One print in the age of mechanical reproduction: film industry and culture
in 1910s Japan by Aaron Gerow.

Yingxi (shadow play): the initial Chinese conception about film by Jubin Hu.

Close encounters of the generic kind: a case study in Thai sci-fi by Adam
Knee.

Hong Kong cinema in the 1930s: docility, social hygiene, pleasure-seeking &
the consolidation of the film industry by Linda Lai.

Animation in Asia: appropriation, reinterpretation, and adoption or
adaptation by John A. Lent.

National cinema and the beginning of film history in/of Bangladesh by Zakir
Raju.

__Reviews__

Chris Berry reviews Jerome Silbergeld, China into film:frames of reference
in contemporary Chinese cinema.

Jodi Brooks reviews Jonathan Crary, Suspensions of perception: attention,
spectacle, and modern culture.

Gene Brown reviews Louis and Alan Gordon, American Chronicle: year by year
through the twentieth century.

Paul Coughlin reviews Christopher Frayling, Sergio Leone: something to do
with death.

Colin Crisp reviews Naomi Greene, Landscapes of loss: the national past in
postwar French Cinema.

Leanne Downing reviews Gaye Poole, Reel meals, set meals: food in film and
theatre.

Helen Grace reviews David MacDougall, Transcultural cinema.

Tim Groves reviews Katherine A. Fowkes, Giving up the ghost: spirits,
ghosts, and angels in mainstream comedy films.

Lisa Gye reviews Peter Lunenfeld, Snap to grid: a user's guide to digital
arts, media and culture.

Wendy Haslem reviews Mark A. Vieira, Sin in soft focus pre-code Hollywood.

Eleanor Hogan reviews Harriet Margolis (ed.), Jane Campion's The piano.

Jan-Christopher Horak reviews Klaus Kreimeier, The Ufa story. a history of
Germany's greatest film company, 1918-1945.

Adam Knee reviews Martin Rubin, Thrillers and Jonathan Munby, Public
enemies, public heroes: screening the gangster from Little Caesar to Touch
of evil

Arthur Lindley reviews Donald Richie, The Films of Akira Kurosawa.

Harriet Margolis  reviews Tania Modleski, Old wives' tales: feminist
re-visions of film and other fictions.

Harriet Margolis reviews Pam Cook and Mieke Bernink (eds.), The cinema book.

Margaret Nixon reviews John Ellis, Seeing things: television in the age of
uncertainty.

Jane Roscoe, reviews Barry Keith Grant and Jeannette Sloniowski (eds),
Documenting the documentary: close readings of documentary film and video.

Jeff Smith, reviews Philip Brophy (ed.), Cinesonic: cinema and the sound of
music.

Brian Yecies reviews Cynthia Erb, Tracking King Kong: a Hollywood icon in
world culture.

---

Our next issue will be a special "director issue" edited by Adrian Martin,
and will be on-line in March 2001.

P.

---
Dr Peter Hughes