SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 2

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:15:57 -0400
Perhaps it was the translation - or its necessary roughness as an early
attempt at what is surely a difficult subject - but I found Bachelard's
Poetics to be indistinct, rather convoluted, and largely unable to fulfill
the substantial promise of its introductory chapter, which was lucid, bold,
and imaginative.

Beyond the stylistic difficulties, I felt the majority of the passages cited
as examples were drawn from a very narrow pool of what seemed rather obscure
French pastoral poets... Consequently (to be fair, I have no depth here) it
was difficult to grasp the context of the references, or their real
value/validity.

Does it read better in the original?

Joe Lamantia