SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Daniel I Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:38:58 -0400
  Hey everyone:

  I'm working on a conference paper on Ingmar Bergman's
  "Persona" and want to try and track down the published
  source of a quote, who said it, and exactly what it was
  word-for word.

  The quote was made sometime in the 1980s or early '90s (at
  least that's when I read it) and it was made by a
  Republican political figure.  (If memory serves it was made
  by a member of Reagan's administration, maybe James Watt or
  Dick Cheney, but it might also have been made by someone in
  the legislative branch like Newt Gingrich.)  This person
  said (in a paraphrase):  "I used to watch Ingmar
  Bergman films like everyone else in the 1960s but they made
  me depressed so I stopped.  Now I'm not depressed any
  more.")

  I think I read it in "Newsweek" or "Time Magazine".  It
  *might* have been mentioned in the context of all those NEA
  controversies ("Poison", Mapplethorpe) and the Right Wing's
  reaction to "dark" works of art.

  I'd be eternally grateful if anyone knew how to track this
  down.  I've spent hours and hours at my university library
  on database searches and have come up with nothing.

  Best

        Daniel Isaac Humphrey
        Department of Art & Art History
        University of Rochester